Thursday, December 10, 2009

December - A Time for Reflection

One of the things I look to do at the end of each year is review what the year has been about and see if I can find what I have learned. Usually there are many lessons, the question is have I learned anything. I have been particularly reflective this year. Then I looked at my planning calendar which I used to plan out my business year and saw the theme which said: "Change: Embrace change and recognize that life is in constant motion. When boundaries are seen as opportunities, the world becomes a limitless place." For the record, no one was cited for that quote on my calendar.

I suddenly realized that this year my theme has been Embrace Change. My office moved, my son was diagnosed with major food allergies which required a whole new way of eating, we decided to homeschool our boys and my business focus is in transition to accommodate our new lifestyle. I have to admit there have been times during this year where I have felt paralyzed by the enormity of the changes. Any one change is enough to add stress, yet I had many major changes.

So what have I learned, hmm. I have learned
  • it is okay to grieve what was,
  • it is okay feel afraid,
  • it is okay to ask for help,
  • it is okay to fall apart for a little while,
  • it is okay to take your time to heal,
  • it is okay to take your time to work through the changes, and
  • I don't have to have all the answers today. I make one decision at a time and then I look for the next right thing to do.

It has been an interesting journey, and one I could not have done without the help of my family, friends, coaches, business associates and most of all my God who has given me strength and a peace that surpasses all understanding during a time when I needed some peace. Here is a great quote that helps keep me on track when change hits me in the face. I hope it encourages you.

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.
Maria Robinson

No comments: