Tuesday, May 17, 2005

When is the last day of School???

As the school year comes to a close I take time to pause. Then panic sets in. What are we going to do with the summer? As my mind races with options and I try to problem solve, I realize that the summer is going to come and go very fast. And when it is done, Thomas will be in First Grade. Wow, when did that happen?

I am not in a rush to get through summer. I want to savor it. I want to enjoy these precious moments. Yes, it means slowing down a little, and being creative with my work schedule, but in then end it will all work out.

My memories of summer include trips with my family to cool places, usually historic in nature where we learned things. My dad was a college professor so we were always in a learning mode. But mostly I remember it was not a rushed time. We played, we rested and we spent time with our family.

I hope to give my kids great memories for this summer and the summers to come.

1 comment:

Milana Leshinsky said...

I was thinking the same thing - panic is HERE! The kids are home all day LONG!

But then I remembered, how a few years ago, when I still had a full time job, I was looking out the window from my desk at work and thinking...

...How much I wish I was with my kids right now! The hot sun, my kids are outside, with their tounges sticking out, while the daycare teachers couldn't care less about a sunburn or sunstroke.

I would come, pick them up, splash them all with cool water, give them a drink, and take them home.

I also remember how I frantically looked for daycare, when the school was out.

Some emotionally disturbing times...

So looking back, the problem I have now - have my kids home "too much" - doesn't seem like a big one.

I can handle it! Knowing that my kids are home with me, safe and taken good care of.

It's worth it!

Ask any outside-of-home-working mom, she'll gladly trade places with us!